Can I Access My Mac Remotely?
There will come a time when you need to access your Mac device from a remote location. Fortunately, Mac has made it easy for its users to access their devices from anywhere. If you’re asking, “Can I access my Mac remotely?” then you’re in the right place. Today, we’ll show you how to access your Mac device from anywhere.
What Is Remote Access?
Remote access is a type of technology that allows you to access your computer from afar. Once the remote connection is established, you can connect to any device even if you are not sitting right in front of the screen. The primary aim of remote access is to eliminate the need for the physical presence of the user to get a task done, making it easier for them to control and access their endpoint devices from a distant spot.
Remote Access: How to Access a Mac Device Remotely?
Accessing a Mac device remotely is quite easy to achieve. As a matter of fact, there are a couple of ways to do so. We’ll take a look now at the most commonly used ways to access a Mac device remotely.
1. Remote Access: Screen Sharing
Mac Screen Sharing allows you to access and control your Mac device remotely. This tool is particularly helpful for those who need to provide remote support to a Mac device. To set up Mac Screen Sharing, follow these steps below:
- Can I Access My Mac Remotely? — Step 1: Launch the Screen Sharing app.
- Can I Access My Mac Remotely? — Step 2: Enter the Apple ID of the Mac device you want to access.
- Can I Access My Mac Remotely? — Step 3: The remote device needs to accept your request to access.
- Can I Access My Mac Remotely? — Step 4: The remote device could either allow you to control or view its screen.
- Can I Access My Mac Remotely? — Step 5: Once accepted, you can now access the Mac device remotely.
2. Remote Access: iCloud Drive
If you just want to have 24/7 access to your files, then iCloud is the ideal remote access solution. This tool will allow you to access your files from anywhere at any time using another Mac device. To get started with iCloud, follow these steps accordingly:
- Can I Access My Mac Remotely Step 1: Launch "System Preferences."
- Can I Access My Mac Remotely Step 2: Select "iCloud."
- Can I Access My Mac Remotely Step 3: Select "Options."
- Can I Access My Mac Remotely Step 4: Check the box beside "Desktop & Documents Folder."
- Can I Access My Mac Remotely Step 5: Make sure that all your files are stored in the "Desktop & Documents Folder."
Once completed, you can now access your files from your Mac device from anywhere at any time, even if you are not connected to your device directly.
3. Remote Access: Remote Access Software
Another way of accessing your Mac device remotely is through remote access software. This tool gives you the ability to access your device from anywhere using another computer. Just like any other software, remote access software needs to be installed on both the local and remote devices. It also needs the help of the internet in order to allow its users to connect to their computers from anywhere.
Remote access software is designed to work outside of a local network. This means that you don’t need to establish a VPN to connect to outsider devices. Also, it’s easy to use and configure. Once installed on both the local and remote devices, you can use it right away to connect to remote devices over an internet connection.
The good thing about remote access software is that it is one of the safest remote access solutions out there. Since it uses strong encryption technologies, it can add another layer of security to your system. Also, it can prevent third-party recordings of confidential and remote sessions. Remote access software requires users to undergo a strict verification process. This ensures that all access made on your device is well authenticated and authorized.
Remote Access: Conclusion
Accessing a Mac device is not as hard as it seems. Although Apple has decided to disable its “Back to My Mac” feature, that doesn’t necessarily mean you can no longer use your Mac device from afar. Now that we’ve answered the question, “Can I access my Mac remotely?” and presented you with a few Mac remote access solutions, there’s no excuse for you to not be able to use your Mac device remotely.