Windows Remote Desktop
Windows Remote Desktop Connection or RDC is one the simplest remote access solutions out there. Not only does it come for but it's very easy to use and configure. However, Windows Remote Desktop app has its fair share of drawbacks as well. In this guide, we'll show you the advantages and disadvantages of using Remote Desktop on Windows 10.
What is Windows Remote Desktop Connection?
Windows Remote Desktop Connection or RDC is a free Microsoft built-in feature. This technology allows users to connect to another computer using a distant or off-site device. Once the connection is established, the user can now access the computer remotely. From there, he can work on all files, data, and apps stored on the remote computer.
Typically, Windows Remote Desktop manager authenticates the local computer first before it can connect to its desired remote device. This is to ensure that all access made on the remote computer is authorized and authenticated. This feature is also disabled by default, so you need to turn it on first before you can use it to establish remote desktop connections on Windows 10.
Pros and Cons of Microsoft Remote Desktop
Windows Remote Desktop, in general, can only be used on the same network remote access solutions by many. Since it's almost everyone uses it to access another computer remotely. However, it is important to note that Windows Remote Desktop has its fair share of disadvantages as well. We'll dive into some pros and cons of using Microsoft Remote Desktop.
- Free of Charge - The good thing about Microsoft Remote Desktop is that it comes for free. If you're a small business owner or just a regular device user, this can be a great deal that won't come at the expense of your financial capabilities.
- Easy to Use and Configure on the Same Network - Windows Remote Desktop is designed to give you an easy remote access experience. Although it's disabled by default, it's very easy to turn on and configure especially if you're connecting on the same network.
- Difficult to Set Up Outside of Your Network - If you're planning to connect outside of your network using Windows RDC, then prepare for some heavy IT work. Windows Remote Desktop, in general, can only be used on the same network. You may need to do additionals steps to use Windows RDC outside of your network. This includes establishing a Virtual Private Network or VPN access or exposing your device directly to the internet. The latter option isn't necessarily secure as there's a bunch of malware and viruses found online.
- Not Firewall Free - In order to use Windows RDC, you need to configure your firewall settings first. Opening up your firewall means you're potentially inviting hackers from entering your system. This can put your network's security at risk which in return, can lead to a potential security breach.
Windows Remote Desktop Alternatives
One great alternative for Windows Remote Desktop is ITarian Remote Access. This free third-party software provides you with the ability to access another computer remotely securely and safely. Just like Microsoft Remote Desktop, it's very easy to use, deploy and configure.
One of the main goals of ITarian Remote Access is to eliminate the need for the physical presence of the user to get a task done. It's also designed to provide you with the most natural remote access experience. Some of the standout features of ITarian Remote Access are as follows:
- Secure Remote Access - This software ensures that every session made between the local and remote computers is encrypted. This is to guarantee that no confidential interaction is leaked and exposed.
- Session Confirmation - ITarian Remote Access requires users to provide the login credentials first before they can connect to a remote device or network. This ensures that all access made is authenticated and authorized.
- Firewall Free - You no longer need to configure your firewall settings first using ITarian Remote Access. This allows you to have a more secure remote access experience. It also provides you with easy access to remote devices from anywhere at any time.
- Multi-Screen - ITarian Remote Access allows you to access endpoints that have a multi-monitor setup.
- Auto Update - This software allows you to have its latest security features through its auto update technology.
Windows Remote Desktop is a Best remote access software for administering local machines and devices. However, it may not be the simplest and the most secure solution outside of your own network's premises. If you want a more secure and convenient remote access tool, then consider getting ITarian Remote Access. If you want to know more about remote access, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.